Nahuatl

A place to talk about crowdsourcing translations of Coyote & Crow into Indigenous languages.
Miston

Nahuatl

Post by Miston »

Xikselikan se tlapalojli nokniuan, matitlajtolkuepakan "Koyotl iuan Kakalotl" ika totlajtol nauatl!

Greetings to everyone, I'm Miston, and I'm a speaker of Guerrero Nahuatl, a variant of Nahuatl spoken in southern Mexico. If there's interest in the project or other speakers willing to participate, I'd be interested in helping to translate the game into Nahuatl. Also I wanted to mention that I found a spelling mistake in the Chahi Glossary, it says Nahutl instead of Nahuatl and Quecha instead of Quechua.
Miston (he/him) - indigenous, native nahuatl speaker from Ñuu Kuatyi (Montaña de Guerrero)
currently based out of Kʼįįshzhíníńlį́, Dibé Ntsaa Hahoodzodi (Denver, CO)
Miston

Re: Nahuatl

Post by Miston »

Ipan "Koyotl iuan Kakalotl", onka kaxtojli ojtin.
In "Coyote and Crow", there are fifteen paths.

Path: Ojtli (pl Ojtin) (possessed singular iojui) (possessed plural inojuiuan)
- Maybe path in this case can be translated as Tonal or Naual? Though it may be better to leave those concepts to a future Mesoamerica expansion...

List of paths from Coyote & Crow Character Creation
  • iojui Kuautli (Eagle)
  • iojui Kuakuauxolotl (Bison)*
  • iojui Aitskuintli (Beaver)*
  • iojui Koyotl (Coyote)
  • iojui Ostotsin (Fox)
  • iojui Tekolotl (Owl)
  • iojui Tlalkoyotl (Badger)*
  • iojui Masatl (Deer)
  • iojui Tokatl (Spider)
  • iojui Kuixin (Falcon)*
  • iojui Kouatl (Snake)
  • iojui Kakalotl (Crow)
  • iojui Xochimichin (Salmon)*
  • iojui Tlakamayej (Bear)*
  • iojui Mapachin (Raccoon)
*A word for Bison doesn't exist in my region, but between Tlakaxolotl (which seems to also mean Tapir) and Kuakuauxolotl, I prefer the latter one because it highlights the horns, and to modern nahuatl speakers it strikes the already familiar image of a Bull.

*A word for Beaver doesn't exist in my region, but "Water Dog" is a common term to denote Otters and other related animals.

*A word for Badger is uncommon in nahuatl, but I prefer this term over Pesojtli which is used to also refer to the Coati.

*The word for Falcon seems to have a lot of overlap with the word for Hawk (Tlojtli and variations thereof), but for my regional variant I feel like Kuixin generates a closer mental image to a falcon-like bird, while the local Tojtli seems to me more similar to a Hawk.

*Xochimichin is a word I haven't heard, but for the sake of the translation I think it's more apt than calling it a trout (Xouilin) though these are in the same family. Alternatively, it could just be called Michin (Fish) but perhaps that is too vague.

*Between the words Tekuanotl and Tlakamayej, I prefer the latter because it seems like a more unique word, while Tekuanotl in my region generates the mental image of a jaguar (locally Tekuani) and can be generically understood as a man-eating beast of any kind.
Miston (he/him) - indigenous, native nahuatl speaker from Ñuu Kuatyi (Montaña de Guerrero)
currently based out of Kʼįįshzhíníńlį́, Dibé Ntsaa Hahoodzodi (Denver, CO)