Notice mechanic?

A place to discuss the finer points of the mechanics and rules for the Coyote & Crow RPG.
bridgeweaver

Notice mechanic?

Post by bridgeweaver »

Another thing I'm missing, or missing the preferred approach: a notice mechanic. I interpret investigation to be a time-intensive examination of a place, object, or situation. What I want is that passive check to see if you spot something out of the corner of your eye before it eats your face off. I think that stealth says something about using investigation with an SN of 7+stealth successes to spot something, and that's the mechanic I used last night, but it doesn't feel right.
This may just be semantics, or old gamer instincts, but I'd be curious to know how others address this in their games.
smilinirish

Re: Notice mechanic?

Post by smilinirish »

My reading is that there isn’t a mechanic that gives you the chance to notice them, they roll against your mental defense. Which means that it’s pretty easy to have a dice pool that succeeds on stealth if someone isn’t aware of you. Once the other party is aware, then it’s investigation checks to find someone.

I specifically wanted my character to excel at this so I made a +3 gift that grants -2 SN investigation, and +2 mental defense vs stealth checks.
bridgeweaver

Post by bridgeweaver »

Hmmm, then stealth feels a bit overpowered, considering that mental defense is going to average around 6. I suppose I'll have to get comfy with positive SN modifiers to make this feel right to me.
smilinirish

Post by smilinirish »

Definitely consider the positive modifiers to even it out. Don’t think there was one for size of group trying to sneak but I’m adding that. But truth is that a competent stealth oriented person should succeed when the potential observer isn’t aware that they are there. I would even consider rechecking if there is something that makes noise, and adding modifiers for the observing having been alerted.
smilinirish

Post by smilinirish »

We had our first session yesterday. The way we ran stealth is that on a normal watch, when we didn't know if something was out there, opponent rolled stealth against our mental defense. Even with my increase in mental defense, opponent was successful. Later, when we had run a surveillance drone near an outpost, we had an idea something was coming. Story Guide had spec ops guy in chameleon suit roll stealth vs my mental defence. I made investigation check because we knew something was out there. difficulty was modified by his successes on stealth check. So it was sort of a hybrid opposed check. Rather than making repeated checks, his total success vs my MD was the number of successes I needed to see him.

Ex: my mental defense is 10 vs stealth (with a gift). Spec ops guy had a Chameleon suit lowering the target number to 8. He obtained 5 successes on his roll vs my MD. While searching for him, I needed 5 successes on my Investigation to find him. Story guide increased the TN by 2 due to his suit, but my gift lowers TN of investigation check by 2, so TN was 8. I made 6 successes, and was able to see him. My companions never were able to beat his successes and therefore never were able to target him. Fortunately my hunter is built for this and I took him down in two shots. He nearly killed our hacker in the meantime. All in all, a tense game of cat and mouse. Story guide needed to create a pretty strong opponent for this, as I have Investigation pool of 7, have a gift reducing TN by two, and have Hawk's sight, further increasing my investigation.

Not sure this is rules as written. Opposed checks section is pretty brief. This worked well for us though.