Skills-General vs specialized

A place to discuss the finer points of the mechanics and rules for the Coyote & Crow RPG.
sullytheraptor

Skills-General vs specialized

Post by sullytheraptor »

Hi all,

I had a question about how specialized skills work when calculating a dice pool. I know you add your rank and related stat to your dice pool. Do you also add the rank of the generalized skill related to your specialized skill?

For example, my character, Uncle is a scoundrel of ill repute and has a rank of 5 in skullduggery. He also has a charisma of 5, so making a check in skullduggery, he would roll a dice pool of 10.

Let's say he has specialized in lock picking with a rank of 2.
When he picks a lock, is his dice pool 12? (Skullduggery+Lock Picking+CHA)
Or is it 7? (Lock Picking+CHA)

Thanks for any help!
smilinirish

Re: Skills-General vs specialized

Post by smilinirish »

You only add the specialization rank, not both. But your example is impossible. With a few exceptions, the general skill includes all possible specializations. So you can’t have general rank of 5 and specialization of 2. If you had skulduggery at 5 and wanted to specialize, you would spend 3 sessions of short term goals and would have a lockpicking spec at 6. Rules state that specializations must be higher than the general skill when first taken.
sullytheraptor

Post by sullytheraptor »

Ah, yes, that last sentence was the piece of information I was really missing! Reread the skills section and it's clicking together much better now.

Thanks so much!
smilinirish

Post by smilinirish »

In case you missed it, check out this clarification from Connor:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=94