Miniature options?

Recommendations for improving your gameplay experience.
HarleighDhai

Miniature options?

Post by HarleighDhai »

I am really looking forward to enjoying this universe. Are there any plans for an official miniature line or are there any miniatures out there that would be compatible for this universe?
Dudeling

Re: Miniature options?

Post by Dudeling »

A good place to start would be Hero Forge. You can build custom miniatures for them to print (and even paint) or get the .stl files to print yourself.I'm fairly certain given the art for the game I've seen so far, they have plenty of customization options which would be fine for C&C.
Jburris

Post by Jburris »

I love minis and probably have well over 1000 at this point. Without much info yet on the setting, it is a bit difficult to give specific suggestions. I know how I plan on using the setting but that is probably different than how others are planning. So here is some very basic advice:

First, anything in the 25mm to 35mm range is basically compatible with each other. For those not familiar with the metric system, that is less than 1/2" in height between the minis and, at scale, represents less than 2 feet difference. Given that humans can range from 4'6" or so up to 7'0" or more, the variation in mini size is believable. This range works with all 1" grid battlemaps. At scale, that grid size is equal to 4 feet but many games use 5 feet as their base measurement. It is not a problem though and not really noticable on the table.

I order all of my miniatures online as there is no local store here that sells them. I use a few different places but I get most through Miniature Market, which is fantastic and based in St Louis, or Amazon. I have also purchased through Ebay and etsy's as well as Hero Forge. There are a lot of great miniature companies now with great quality products. I buy unpainted minis because I enjoy painting them but it also cuts the price in half from buying painted ones.

Reaper has a wide range of options. Their Bones line is made from a slightly flexible polymer plastic that is quite durable and has fantastic sculpts with great detail but trends towards D&D or Pathfinder type fantasy games. Still usable depending on your campaign though. Their Chronoscope line is their everything not D&D which includes steampunk, scifi and cyberpunk, futuristic, Old West, Noir/pulp and more. Chronoscope offers both plastic and metal options. Their Legends line is mostly metal and also exceptional quality. The price for most minis will double (or nearly so) when going from plastic to metal and that is for nearly all companies I have found. Reapers Bones normally sell for $2.50 to $6 per mini depending mostly on the size. Larger monsters cost more. The same mini in metal will nearly double that price.

Wargames Atlantic and Warlord Games both sell great sprue kits that have 24 minis that have to be glued together but offer great versatility and customization options.

Wizkids has great scifi options for Starfinder/Star Wars type games in both painted and unpainted options in addition to their D&D/Pathfinder stuff.

Most game companies offer plastic minis in the $3-$7 each range and nearly double for metal versions. Painted versions are usually about 50% more than the unpainted versions. There are some lines that are much more expensive and many of those only have metal options.

I recommend looking around at various vendors and companies online to get a good idea of what is available. But I would not make any purchases until you have a good idea of the type of setting and campaign you want to run/play in.
Dudeling

Post by Dudeling »

This is good stuff, though I will quibble a bit on the 35mm miniatures working well on 1" battle maps. Not so much. Once things are next to each other in adjacent squares, they start bumping and pushing each other away, and depending on miniature poses, things above the base can easily start interfering with each other. I made that mistake when printing the character models for a pathfinder campaign I'm running, and wanted the PCs to "stand out" a bit more and be better able to pick out details. While the minis *look* great, there are often space conflicts on the battle map.
Jburris

Post by Jburris »

Yes, that is true. There can be problems with that with some minis. In my experience, using round bases can fix most of those problems as long as they aren't over 1" in diameter though. If the bases are slightly undersized like a 25mm base for a 32mm scale, the problems are usually minimal as well. But a really odd or extended reach pose can create such issues, too. The only times I've ever really had issues is when using Heroclix minis which are generally 35mm and have oversized bases.
Dudeling

Post by Dudeling »

Oh most certainly they do - most 35mm models have, well, 35mm bases (as used in, say, Warmachine and Hordes). If your 35mm model will, with its pose, fit on a 25mm base, then yeah, that solves most of those problems.
Jburris

Post by Jburris »

I also use 35mm as Large creatures in D&D scale (7.5' to 15' tall) and position those to take up a 2x2 space rather than trying to fit it in one square and have it overlap the surrounding 4 squares. I do the same thing for any mini with a reach weapon like a pole arm to show the spaces they "threaten" as well.

For something specific, like a Rocket Raccoon Heroclix (small character on a large base) I would remove it from the Heroclix base and glue it to a 25mm base.
Bamawing

Post by Bamawing »

I just draw minis onto shrinky dinks (plastic that shrinks and thickens in a toaster oven). Not sure if this makes me super clever or super cheap, lol!
crowsandbones

Post by crowsandbones »

I have been wondering about this myself, and I have been looking at some of Reaper Miniatures newer "Scifi/Cyber" releases and have found a few poses that could work, but nothing that quite fits what I'm expecting. Heroforge will probably get used for any PC minis in the future but I think there are a few Starfinder/Pathfinder minis that could work for a GMs needs.

I'd really like to see some official minis at some point for sure but there is nothing wrong with printing out some 2D minis either... I have a love affair with painting minis & busts and adding some Coyote & Crow aesthetic to my collection would make me very happy indeed.