Acknowledging the land you play on

Recommendations for improving your gameplay experience.
kirrilyburnett

Acknowledging the land you play on

Post by kirrilyburnett »

Hello, I am so excited to play this game. I wanted to make a suggestion/ask a question.

I am a non Indigenous Australian. We have a custom in Australia which is to acknowledge the land we are gathering on. We do this for concerts and large gatherings but also I am a teacher and we do it each morning in class.
We acknowledge that we are learning on Ngunnawal country like people have for 10s of thousands of years.

I was thinking that no matter where I played Coyote And Crow I would maybe start like that too. What do you think of that idea?

"Today we play this game on Ngunnawal country. On land that the Ngunnawal people have played on and enjoyed for 10s of thousands of years. as we play today we acknowledge the elders past and present."

Written out this sounds formal but it is more like an honest grounding and respect rather then a memoriesed statement.
Dread Wolf

Re: Acknowledging the land you play on

Post by Dread Wolf »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I like it!
ModernAlchemy

Post by ModernAlchemy »

That is a fantastic custom. I absolutely agree, that's a great way to start a session, but it should be extended to other things, as well. Let's start a movement!
wickedlittlecritta

Post by wickedlittlecritta »

I've actually played a few indie ttrpgs that include guidelines for doing this in the playbooks! I would expect C&C's will have something similar as well. It's a very good practice imo, not only is it respectful it definitely sets a tone for the game.
SiSurgin

Post by SiSurgin »

This is a great idea, @kirrilyburnett. We have a similar tradition of making land acknowledgements here in Canada. Many also indicate which Indigenous group they belong to or - as is the case for myself - introduce ourselves as "Settlers".

Here in Calgary ("Mohkinstsis" in Blackfoot) a sample acknowledgement from the Calgary Foundation reads:

"In the spirit of reconciliation, we acknowledge that we live, work and play on the traditional territories of the Blackfoot Confederacy (Siksika, Kainai, Piikani), the Tsuut’ina, the Îyâxe Nakoda Nations, the Métis Nation (Region 3), and all people who make their homes in the Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta."

As you say, these can read as a bit formal or rehearsed. Recently, someone suggested that it can easily be personalized with your own connection to the land. So, I could add that my parents and grandparents have farmed on Treaty 7 land and that I was born and raised in Calgary/Mohkinstsis.
-Jaret H. (he/him) - White Settler in Mohkinstsis/Calgary
Brent Knorr

Post by Brent Knorr »

Our RPG Alliance Con in Calgary does a land acknowledgement as well, both when we run in person as well as having one on the website.
https://rpgalliance.wordpress.com/honou ... s-peoples/
I'm really hoping to be able to run Coyote & Crow at this years convention on November 20 -21. Hopefully it will be out in time for that, even if it's just a set of quickstart rules and an introductory adventure.
SiSurgin

Post by SiSurgin »

Hey @Brent_Knorr... very excited to hear that you're hoping to run a C&C game at RPG Alliance Con. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

See you there!
Brent Knorr wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm Our RPG Alliance Con in Calgary does a land acknowledgement as well, both when we run in person as well as having one on the website.
https://rpgalliance.wordpress.com/honou ... s-peoples/
I'm really hoping to be able to run Coyote & Crow at this years convention on November 20 -21. Hopefully it will be out in time for that, even if it's just a set of quickstart rules and an introductory adventure.
-Jaret H. (he/him) - White Settler in Mohkinstsis/Calgary
Brent Knorr

Post by Brent Knorr »

Well, the biggest thing I'm going to need is a set of rules and an adventure, preferably about a week ahead of the Con, but I suspect you can't help me with that :D
I'm hoping to run my game in person on the Sunday, depending on what current restrictions might be in place, tickets should become available on Oct 31st. It would be great to see you there.
jdizzlelizzle

Post by jdizzlelizzle »

What a coincidence, I am also located in Mohkinstsis! Not sure I'll be able to make the RPG alliance event, but nice to know there'll be folks playing locally <3

I recently worked on a land acknowledgment with some of my peers from the Aahwaatkamooksi Indigenous peer mentorship at AUArts, and it really impressed a couple of key concepts into me:

1) for those of us residing on Treaty land, living on Treaty land makes us treaty participants. The treaties aren't things that happened between the local Indigenous communities and ye olde time government - it is a living document that permits those of us who aren't Indigenous to the area to live here, and which gives us that benefit whilst also giving us responsibilities. At a minimum, our responsibilities are to acknowledge and uphold the treaties, ensure they are morally and legally kept, and to defer to the traditional landholders. (Which I say as someone of Treaty 8 heritage, living in Treaty 7 lands.)

2) We don't speak often enough about the land's participation in land acknowledgments. It's kinda weird to hear the colonial concept of the land as an owned dead thing in almost every land acknowledgment, when many of the nations on Turtle Island do not ascribe to this idea. Why is only the western idea of land referenced? We can do better than that.
Last edited by jdizzlelizzle on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izalco

Post by Izalco »

I think this an excellent idea. As far as I know land acknowledgments are not a thing in New York and I'm looking forward to introducing this to my gaming group.