How to play respectfully

Recommendations for improving your gameplay experience.
Dudeling

How to play respectfully

Post by Dudeling »

Greetings all,

My wife and I are both 100% non-indigenous, and are both looking forward to playing/storytelling in this world. My wife raised this afternoon what seems to me a valid concern: How can those of us with no indigenous background or experience whatsoever play in this world in a respectful way which avoid issues of cultural appropriation, while approaching as best we can authentic role-play of personalities in this world? Gone are they days of kids playing "Cowboys and Indians", etc. or both of our youths (happily), and we don't want to have this turn into an adult version of the same.

How can we do this right without the play turning into caricatures of our likely-underinformed perceptions of how the personalities in this world would behave and act?
smilinirish

Re: How to play respectfully

Post by smilinirish »

I gave some time for others to answer, so here is my perspective as another non-indigenous player. I don't intend to try to speak any differently than I do now (no broken English, no changing my voice to sound like "indians in movies").

Based on my understanding of some commonalities of indigenous cultures, some values that I intend to keep in mind: community over self; happiness over success; part of the natural world vs master of it; Value elders vs value youth; shared resources vs individual ownership of them; personal freedoms within responsibility to others vs excessive laws to follow. I plan to try to keep these values in mind as I play the part of whatever characters I represent.

I plan to be very careful how I handle religion and ceremonies. There is a lot of fantasized stuff out there about Native American religion. Many of us are steeped in a "church on sunday" view of religion, rather than spiritual beliefs being how you interact with the world on a day to day basis.

I am so grateful that they have created a fictional set of tribes and languages so that we can participate without being guilty of stealing someone else's culture.

I'm looking forward to some perspective on this from players with indigenous ancestry.
Dudeling

Post by Dudeling »

Some good thoughts there 'irish. I'm definitely less concerned about the "impersonation" aspects of things, as absolutely that would feel patently inappropriate. It was the values aspect of your reply which is exactly the direction I wanted to go with this question.
wylie

Post by wylie »

Great question
I been wondering this myself, as a non- indigenous person.
I remember reading some of the stories as kid. And I hope I have a basic understanding about being in harmony with the natural world and the spirital world.

Now that I have the PDF, it looks great.
The side notes for non-natives is helpful. I have come across a few terms that need a bit of clarity.