Name Generator

A place to talk about world building elements, history, adventures, Stories, Sagas and Tales in Coyote & Crow.
SiegfriedSassoon

Name Generator

Post by SiegfriedSassoon »

I love how we all hopped on here even though there isn't much game-related stuff to talk about yet.
I've spent way too long just clicking on the Chahi name generator, and it's been great. What are your favorite names you've gotten? So far I really like
-Soonoonat
-Moonwit
-Chichan
-Kash
Not sure if we'll get to figure out their meanings, or if these names are gendered, but I love that the creators gave us this tool.
smilinirish

Re: Name Generator

Post by smilinirish »

I'm very grateful that there is a name generator. I took the character creation video, made some screenshots and created a pdf of the charts in the video. Although we don't have the archetypes yet, or a clear explanation of the special abilities for the Paths, I've already created Waadi, the border ranger, and Kisikwa the medicine man.
Soutti

Post by Soutti »

I was a big fan of Sooshi and Wiingami. I can't wait to get my hands on the book.
onusowa

Post by onusowa »

Myself and the other native folk I’ll be play with have talk about using both the name generator and our own indigenous languages to name our characters. Especially if those characters aren’t born and raised in Cahokia. To represent a name from your home community and name you may have gained while being in or working in the city
Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

I got Haka Mazaka, which grabbed my attention for some reason. Looking at the language wiki, "haka" means color, "mazakaska" means silver, and "mazakazi" means gold. So Haka Mazaka doesn't have a clear meaning just from that, but it's not hard to guess something that's probably more or less in the right zip code. It's interesting to think about, anyway.
BirdMan

Post by BirdMan »

Just realized, after looking through the language Wiki that my User name translates to Panit Ni. :)
lanval

Post by lanval »

I would love to see some guidance on pronunciation for names and the Chahi language in general. Things like multi-letter sounds and syllable stress.
Cheers,
Lanval
Soutti

Post by Soutti »

lanval wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:18 pm I would love to see some guidance on pronunciation for names and the Chahi language in general. Things like multi-letter sounds and syllable stress.
Using the International Phonetic Alphabet (for English?) would be a great tool for that. And not that much extra code to generate.
WillMcKay

Post by WillMcKay »

lanval wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:18 pm I would love to see some guidance on pronunciation for names and the Chahi language in general. Things like multi-letter sounds and syllable stress.
In process! Should be up soon.
Bamawing

Post by Bamawing »

I'd love to see a translation of the names, if they have them. (Do they, always? Or are they more like western naming conventions where it's a group of sounds that indicates personal name? Or is it a mixture?) I love names in general, what they mean and what the story behind them is.